John 4:19-26

"Sir," the woman said, "you must be a prophet. So tell me, why is it that you Jews insist that Jerusalem is the only place of worship, while we Samaritans claim it is here at Mount Gerizim, where our ancestors worshiped?"

Jesus replied, "Believe me, dear woman, the time is coming when it will no longer matter whether you worship the Father on the tis mountain or in Jerusalem. You Samaritans know very little about the one you worship, while we Jews know all about him, for salvation comes through the Jews. But the time is coming-indeed it's here now- when true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and in truth. The Father is looking for those who will worship Him that way. For God is Spirit, so those who worship Him must worship in spirit and in truth."

The woman said, "I know the Messiah is coming-the one who is called Christ. When he comes, he will explain everything to us."

Then Jesus told her, "I AM the Messiah!"

Thursday, July 31, 2008

getting ready

So, this sunday at The Journey, we are having a really different kind of service. It's kind of a cross between a Celebration Sunday and Praise and Worship Service. Now, if you were with us last Sunday,  WOW! I don't have anything else to describe it but WOW! God's presence in there was overwhelming. It was incredible. 

So this week, I've kinda been a little worried. Not that we are going to "not" experience that again, but that it's going to be even more intense! I mean, we're only human. I don't know how much of that we can handle without our heads exploding!! :)

Seriously, though, I do believe we are in a season where God is growing us. (I don't mean numbers here, either.) I've noticed a trend that has started happening around the Journey. It seems like every week more and more people are letting go of themselves and turning it over to God. I've noticed this both in worship and during Erik's reflective time. People are making moves toward God. (and here me say this... This is nothing of our doing!) But I do know this. As people at the Journey continue to be obedient to what God is calling them to do, He will continue to increase His presence in our lives. I can tell you from personal experience. 

Two weeks ago, I spent the week preparing for Sunday, like I always do. However, I found myself distracted by things that took me away from focused prayer time, my personal worship time, and my scripture reading. Nothing that you would say, "OOOH! I can't believe he did that!" I'm talking about everyday things, like needing to go to the bank, watching TV, playing with Cason. Little, everyday things. And I didn't spend the time that I'd promised God, with Him, that I should have. I let other things come first. Well, that Sunday, I struggled with distractions, forgetting words, and stupid things that shouldn't normally happen. Immediately, I thought of all the things that got in the way of my time with God, during the week. So, I made the decision right then and there, never again!  Long story short, this past week, when I got to church, I immediately felt God's presence all around me. There was a warmth and a peace like I'd never known before. I knew that the time that I had spent with Him this past week was being honored. Just the mere thought of stepping on that stage and singing praises to Him filled my heart so much, that nothing could distract me. I truly felt like I was at His feet, as He sat on His throne. And as we began our service, His presence was all I felt. 

I talk all the time about preparation to my praise team and tech team. Yes, it's good to know your songs, and light cues and computer-powerpoint presentations, and key signatures. But the kind of preparation that I try to encourage is spiritual. Take the time throughout the week to talk to God. Read the scriptures. Spend focused time in prayer. 

Give Him your first of everything: your day, your thoughts, your time, and watch what happens. 

-blessings

No comments: