John 4:19-26

"Sir," the woman said, "you must be a prophet. So tell me, why is it that you Jews insist that Jerusalem is the only place of worship, while we Samaritans claim it is here at Mount Gerizim, where our ancestors worshiped?"

Jesus replied, "Believe me, dear woman, the time is coming when it will no longer matter whether you worship the Father on the tis mountain or in Jerusalem. You Samaritans know very little about the one you worship, while we Jews know all about him, for salvation comes through the Jews. But the time is coming-indeed it's here now- when true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and in truth. The Father is looking for those who will worship Him that way. For God is Spirit, so those who worship Him must worship in spirit and in truth."

The woman said, "I know the Messiah is coming-the one who is called Christ. When he comes, he will explain everything to us."

Then Jesus told her, "I AM the Messiah!"

Tuesday, October 28, 2008

garage sale

Saturday, we are having an end of year garage sale. So, tonight, my wife and I are spending the evening cleaning out our closets, Cason's toys, all the junk piled up on the shelves in the garage, and anything else that's not nailed down! WE HAVE TOO MUCH CRAP!!!!

It's amazing to me how stuff can pile up over the weeks, months, and years. I mean, I'm finding stuff in my closet that I haven't worn in like three years. But every time I think about throwing it out, I think, nah... I really like that shirt, or that pair of jeans. But yet, I still fail to wear them. 

Sometimes I think our lives are like that too. We keep junk piled up inside our hearts, habits, anger, sadness, a grudge... etc. You know the kind of stuff I'm talking about. So tonight, I made a decision to clean something else out. Me. I'm going to take an inventory of what's hanging around inside there. I know that I've got stuff that, if someone could just pull it out and put it on display, I would probably be embarrassed or guilty about. As someone who walks with Christ, I know that these are things that I'm not required to carry around. And I know. Sometimes its hard to admit you're holding a grudge, knowing full well that its not the person's fault that your holding this grudge. It's yours. It's pride and selfishness. And I'm not just talking about grudges either. I'm talking about all of it. It all stems from selfishness and pride. All of it. And if you're someone who is, right now, sitting there reading this, getting angry at me for calling you out, then it just proves my point. You are a selfish, prideful person. And you better get it under control or it's going to eat away at you from the inside, until there's nothing left except the shell of the person that you used to be. 

I'm not saying these things because I'm better than you. Everything I just said up there, that was for me. I needed to tell myself that so tonight, when I'm spending some quiet time with God, I'll have something to think about when I'm trying to talk myself out of cleaning it out! But if you fall into the same category as me, than take it as I was talking to you too.  Cause here's the news flash: We are not, cannot be, and will never be without fault. We will always have things in our hearts and in our lives that we will need to deal with. Want to know why? Cause we're human. And we're weak. But that's Ok. There is a cure! 

2 Corinthians 17:9-10 says this, 

9 But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. 10 That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

C-ya all. Many blessings! I've got some cleaning to do. 

1 comment:

Cindi said...

Good word brother. God has had me doing that too. On a side note, you better not put my tapes that you lost in your garage in that yard sale! Love you!

Cindi